6.16.2006

stolen graham crackers

New poems, real names, same ole same ole:

For If You Burn Carol's Phone Number

God, Keighley, we were not a city
of giant things: weeds and words
for sleet from a Russian immigrant.
He evacuated a smirched shantytown
for your couch. He called Carol
a girl who sound like horse.

Not horse, dude: just Caterpillar boots
nailed like pelts to the sweep of
matching chimneys in a mute mining town,
to wet porches and beer bongs and summer
plans of sinking knuckles beneath lashes.

This other girl is off for Africa,
but she keeps whomping my shoulders,
like you don't understand, you don't --
what about hairdryers?
Who knows, eat
these Mini-Wheats, you're way gone,
you're way gone-- but none of us are way

gone, Keighley. I mean: why did we
let Carol down a fishtank full of rum?
I mean: I was stupid when I saw her
smack the cop car, Indian-sprawled
in a rain ditch, mascara flakes
dusting her crooked belt buckle.

I was stupid when I saw her and thought
hooray for pear and gorgonzola pizza
in my New York City summer! Fuck everyone!
You sound like horse like horse like horse!


Think now of how the tossed off lap
the swamp. They swim and make the rain
that makes us glad when sun busts
back to squish our guilt, thank God.

Keighley, hose her down and buy her
a clipper ship? You won't. We were
a city of singed faceplants, and
we left no lasting grace, only
its opposite -- riddens -- that
brands the broken like a long noon.

13 comments:

K.E. Holland said...

...and
we left no lasting grace, only
its opposite -- riddens -- that
brands the broken like a long noon.


I really like that bit. Very beautiful. The only part I'm not too fond of would be the "what about hairdryers?" I was hoping for something slightly more poignant after "like you don't understand, you don't". Also...not sure if it was intentional or not, but you spelled "caterpillar" wrong. :)

Cool poem. Lots of pretty language.

Mike Young said...

Thanks for the comments, Kate. I fixed caterpillar. It's never intentional. I spell atrociously. =( I should just start using three letter words for everything.

Gelsinger said...

Mike, this is my favorite to date. (I gots no problem with hairdryer).

Maybe instead of 3 letter words, you should only spell with the 2nd half of the alphabet. There's nothing a e i can do that o u can't.

A.S. Galvan said...

"I was stupid when I saw her and thought hooray for pear and gorgonzola pizza in my New York City summer! Fuck everyone!"

Reminds me vaguely of being in love. No idea why.

Alex said...

i really like the second stanza. but the whole thing was great, oh, and you are a fucking retard for not knowing how to spell caterpillar.

i left your possesions with bryan sorry we never got to say goodbye (that sounds so dramatic).

To The People Who Read These Comments: Mike and I are not gay. Not even a little. I mean, sure, we spoon sometimes when we're lonely and I mean, shit, it gets cold in june. People need to stay warm.

michaelf said...

great

Mike Young said...

Thanks alls y'alls for all the comments.

Eric: yes, yes, I want to try that now, but I'm afraid it would make me look like I'm too rich

Angela: that's weird, I guess it is somewhat the same, the neglect, the beautiful neglect, maybe, maybe

Alex: We have discussed this. Gay is as gay does. Consider the frillies of the lield.

Michael: Thank you and you have a cool first name.

K.E. Holland said...

I've been listening to "The Eraser." Love it, of course. Thanks, again. :) Sorry I was so out of it when you brought it over. I was kinda high on anti-nausea meds. So...how about that track-list, eh? I want to rip it to my iPod but can't, really, until I have track names. No hurry or anything...

Chuck said...

bestow, honor, salvage, mistake, character, leverage, danger, prowler, cut, slide, kwap, end, beatify, dutiful.

Mike Young said...

Is that what I think it is, Chuck? Those are good additions to the list, though maybe context could save stuff like "cut."

"Kwap?" Fuck no. Kwap is a good one.

Trust me: this whole poem was an apology for using the word "grace."

Chuck said...

it wasn't MEANT to be, but it CAN be.
i have a serious problem with commenting on people's pages without prior knowledge of the posts that preceded it, nor the initial blog entry that started it. i will go back and read your poem...

Bryan said...

you're way gone-- but none of us are way

gone, Keighley.

i would change that line break

also

this is a very pretty poem about a stupid fat girl who sells crank and bought tits with her financial aid.

what's up wit dat foo?

Mike Young said...

It's not really traditionally pretty. What's pretty about eating Mini-Wheats? Some of the lines have pretty things in them. I don't think the poem is pretty. I think the poem has nice earrings maybe. If it's pretty it's like emo-girl pretty.

Also: it's not about her. If you didn't know her you would think more, I think. Those are very nice details about the tits and crank. Thank you for sharing them.