the british are coming

For those readers interested in the whole Boston LED "terror" story involving LEDs, D batteries, a shamefaced police department and traditional media outlets who adore confusion and ignorance, here is a decent analogy from Joe Keohane of the Weekly Dig:

Next, let’s all get out our dictionary and look up “hoax”, shall we? Because while “War of the Worlds” was a hoax, this was not. There was no subterfuge involved, and no effort made to convince people that these devices were bombs. If I see a scary looking tree out my bedroom window, think it’s a monster, and then discover upon closer inspection that it isn’t, it doesn’t mean the tree has perpetrated a hoax against me. What it means is that for a moment I took leave of my senses. And just because I’m embarrassed about it doesn’t give me the right to go cut down the tree.


Margaret said...

Hi Mike. That analogy isn't actually from me; I just pointed BoingBoing to the post. The words belong to Joe Keohane of the Weekly Dig.

Mike Young said...

Oh, thanks for the clarification. I will fix it. =)

Logan Ryan Smith said...

that is a very timely quote. and i loved how in each report i saw on the news of that whole thing, each reporter said, "it's interesting to note that this promotional tactic took place in 9 other american cities, without incident."